Celery Root Slaw
I try to purchase all of my vegetables at the amazing fresh-market in Jerusalem, which means I am getting veggies that are in season now. If I see a vegetable that I haven’t seen in awhile, I know I should grab when I can. This past weekend, that flighty vegetable that I quickly snatched up was celery root. Celery what? Yea, celery root (or celeriac), which, in my opinion, is an extremely underrated vegetable. I have loved celery root both raw and cooked for many years now, and I am still wondering why its green counter-part gets all the attention. We were having spicy, chili sandwiches for dinner, and this slaw added the perfect cool, crunch on the side.
- 1 cup julienned carrot
- 2 cups julienned celery root
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked or hot paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Step 1 Combine all ingredients and mix. It is that easy!
- Step 2 Also, I like to use julienned vegetables for this slaw because I think that it creates a nice crunchy texture. However, it can take a bit longer than shredding. If shredding is easier, that works too.